This sumptuous desert of sweetened walnuts encased in light and flaky filo pastry, soaked in a sweet honey syrup, is a great companion with a cup of tea.
2T soft brown sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon
1Tb lemon zest
20g butter, melted
10 sheets filo pastry
50g butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 T honey
pink Persian fairy floss
- Pre heat oven to 180c, line a tray with baking paper.
- Place the walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, honey, lemon zest and butter into small bowl of a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped (if you do not have a food processor chop the walnuts as finely as possible with a knife).
- Remove one sheet of filo and cover the rest to prevent drying out. Place the sheet of filo onto workbench and brush with melted butter, place another sheet of pastry on top.
- Cut sheet into 2 strips for large fingers or 2 strips for smaller fingers.
- Divide mixture into 10, and shape into a log, it should be 2/3 of the length of the pastry. Place a log of mixture in the centre of the pastry.
- Fold edges over the nut mixture, brush length of pastry with butter roll.
- Brush top with a little more butter and dust cinnamon over, place onto lined tray and repeat with remaining mixture.
- To make the syrup, combine the sugar, honey and ½ cup water in a small saucepan. Stir for one minute, allow to reach a boil then reduce temperature to a simmer, simmer for 5 minutes. Pour syrup over baklava fingers.
- Serve fingers individually with Persian fairy floss.
Baklava before being baked
Baklava served with pink Persian Fairy Floss