Combination steam oven – steamed strawberry pavlova layer cake
Steaming the strawberries intensifies their flavour and sweetness. This is a fantastic gluten free dessert. Pending the season you can vary the fruit used. The components of this dessert can be made a day in advanced, however it is best assembled on the day.
1 punnet strawberries
6 egg whites
½ cup caster sugar
1/8 cup almond meal
3Tb shredded coconut
300 grams lemon curd
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp sugar (for cream)
- Preheat combination steam oven to 150oC, convection only.
- Draw 3 20cmx10cm rectangles on baking paper, you may need to do this on multiple pieces of paper/trays.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add 1Tb of caster sugar at a time into the mixture beat until stiff peaks form, the sugar should be dissolved. Fold the almond meal into the mixture.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 3 and spread across the rectangles. Sprinkle each rectangle with 1Tb of coconut.
- Bake for 25-30minutes, remove from oven leave door ajar for 30minutes.
- Turn combination oven to full steam/100% humidity, adjust the temperature to 85oC.
- Wash hull and cut the strawberries into thirds.
- Line a perforated tray with baking paper, make a few slits in the baking paper, place strawberries on top. Steam for 3 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Beat cream until soft peaks form; add ½ tsp vanilla bean paste and sugar.
- Place lemon curd in a bowl, fold cream into lemon curd mixture.
- Place all ingredients in the fridge until the pavlovas are cooled.
- Divide curd, cream and strawberries into 3 equal quantities; layer meringue, curd, cream, strawberries, repeat until there are no ingredients remaining.